Thursday, January 9, 2014

Signs of Life...the Value!


Do I value life?  If so, how do I demonstrate it?  One of the most troubling commercials I've seen over the last month has been put out by the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).  In the commercial the announcer says: "Right now somewhere in America there's an animal being beaten and another being locked in a cage alone and left to die.  These scared innocent animals don't realize there is any hope for a better life.  At the ASPCA we are committed to searching every dark corner to find them and help heal the deep physical and emotional wounds that have been inflicted on them.  But we can't reach these animals without your support...."  The announcer goes on to ask for you to join the cause and commit to give 60 cents a day.  What happens next?  You receive a T-Shirt and a picture of an animal.  No doubt, some of the money goes to rescue and care for neglected animals.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not an animal hater or believe in treating animals cruel.  I have had pets since I was a young boy.  Dogs are my favorite and cats, well that's another story.  What cut to my heart about this ad wasn't the agonizing pictures of dogs and cats who have been neglected but the desperation to which the announcer spoke of the immediate need. Now before you jump to either side of the fence on this issue, hear me out.  Contrast this ad with the following video that presents another desperate need: 



Life is precious and is to be highly valued.  People should matter to me.  But here's the question I started this post with: how do I demonstrate the fact that people matter? I must confess I have gotten so used to my suburban, middle class, first world life, that I have conveniently pushed aside the grim reminder of the desperate conditions around our planet.  Where do I start in a world with such desperate needs?  Do I respect, preserve, and advocate for life whenever and where ever I see opportunity?  Or, am I consumed with ME?  Do I feel the "desperateness" in my life for hurting, starving, and dying people as is the tone of the ASPCA ad for animals?  In some way I am grateful for the ASPCA commercial because it has jolted me into the reality of what really matters PEOPLE.  Again, I am an animal lover and hope to one day have another dog of my own.  This really isn't an either or issue: do we care for animals or people?  But it is a both and.  However, if push comes to shove, I must default to the care, dignity, and respect of people.  Why?  Because it is in the fabric of every human being that has within them the indelible image of God!   

Just my thoughts,

Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment