Sunday, June 21, 2015

What I've Learned from My Dad...

I am privileged to still have my dad around.  This year he will turn 85.  There are 3 values that I have learned from him that have shaped who I am.

#1. Faithfullness.  
I watched my dad care for, come along side of, and love my mom.  For those of you who didn't know her, she was a remarkable woman who struggled with Rheumatoid Arthritis.  A disease that crippled her and brought many debilitating side effects.  In a day and age where convenience was rampant and divorce became 'no fault' dad stayed faithfully beside mom's side until the day she died.  As a young boy, I knew my parents were in love and I marveled at the faithfulness exemplified by dad.  He faithfulness extended into other domains of his life, for 40+ years he would get up at 6:00am and be in at the office by 7:30.  His faithfulness extended to church where he served on numerous boards and committees.  His faithfulness was to the community where he led a school corporation through the daunting task of consolidation and building a new Jr. Sr. High School.  He donated blood regularly and has surpassed the 50 gallon mark. He was a volunteer fireman for over 50 years.  I have watched and learned to be a man, you must be faithful.

#2. Work Hard.
Dad was raised by depression era parents and the value of hard work was ingrained into him.  So guess what he passed on?  As a young boy, I hated this one.  Too many "spring breaks" were spent hauling manure, picking up rocks in the field, etc.  But I learned the value of sticking with something until it was finished and putting in my best effort.  The only person I ever saw out work my dad was his dad.  Grandpa was the epitome of hard work.  I have experienced the benefit first hand of having the same work ethic and realizing the satisfaction of seeing a project completed.  

#3. Integrity.
If dad says he will do something, it'll get done.  This integrity thing has shaped me in many ways and has been a real drag at times.  Anytime I think about not living up to my word, I am haunted with the thought of trying to explain it away.  Dad taught me and my brothers this lesson over and over by his example and by holding us to our word.  He is a firm believer in you need to inspect what you expect.  Many times I can remember the follow up questions of: 'did you finish, do, or take care of...?'  He knew that the wandering mind and body of a young boy could lead to a lack of followthrough.   

So, there you have it.  Three values that I am grateful for and am indebted to my dad for.  Thanks Dad, you taught me well.  I hope I can be as faithful, hardworking, and as full of integrity as you are.  Love You and Happy Father's Day.

Marty, your favorite son!   

No comments:

Post a Comment