Friday, June 19, 2015

Mind the Gap

Gaps...they are all over and show up in some of the most interesting places.  The other night we were watching TV and someone said: "wow, she's got a gap between her front teeth!"  A gap is a space between something that usually is filled.  Gaps can be beneficial: time between big projects at work, cool weather between heat spells, quiet between excessive noise, or deep breaths between long underwater dives.  

A gap that happens to me is knowing what to do and actually do it.  Before we moved to Australia there was a gap.  In the midst of that there was that irritating time called waiting!  Waiting can be a very real part of "gapness."  

Waiting has become synonymous with inactivity and that becomes a choice.  I can sit and wait in the doctor's office and do nothing.  I last about 5 minutes!  I don't know if I'm A.D.H.D or just wired to do something?  I really don't like to wait, especially when it means being inactive.  

I hated English class, it wasn't all the rules that tripped me up but all the exceptions: 'i before e except....' 'the vowels are: a,e,i,o,u, & sometimes....'  I couldn't seem to keep track of them all.  But one thing I did learn; verbs are action words!  The word wait is a verb.  Waiting requires action not inaction.  

So, what action can I engage in while I'm waiting?
I can...Think, Pray, Encourage, be Aware, Love, Serve, Praise, Reflect, be Generous, Care, be Patient, Read, Learn a new skill.  The list seems endless.  So, as you find yourself in a Gap, what will you choose?   How about the 'Action of the Wait?'  

No comments:

Post a Comment