Tuesday, November 11, 2014

PERSPECTIVE

Last week Ruthann and I flew to San Diego for vacation.  I LOVE flying and enjoy the entire process that takes place to get from point A to point B.  Although, I don’t appreciate the reduction of snacks and meals.  How do they expect me to drink my “free” drink without the plethora of gourmet, tasty pretzels they used to provide?  The perspective of the airline is they are now saving money, keeping them from going bankrupt by not providing such extravagant snack items!  That’s their perspective! Mine is a little different!

One thing that strikes me every time I’m up in a plane is the difference perspective makes.  As the plane takes off and we rise above the ground my mind shifts into overdrive as I try to identify things from a different view.  It amazes me how we can take off on a cloudy, overcast day and eventually we pop through the clouds and the bright sunlight streams in the windows. 

Living in the Midwest I’ve had my share of cloudy, overcast days.  At times I forget the sun is always shining and the clouds begin to shape my outlook. That’s one reason why I like flying so much, it reminds me of this principle of perspective and no matter what’s happening, the sun is still shining.  I have to admit there are times I get stuck with a perspective that is below the clouds.  I become impatient when I don’t see things clearly.  Or, I become frustrated when another view isn’t my own.  I then demand they view life through my lens.  I have to constantly remind myself I’m not the center of the universe. Although, everywhere I go, there I am!  There is only ONE who is the center and I’m not Him!  Flying reminds me of this as I look out the window trying to grasp how large He is and how small I really am. 

There is an art of seeing things from a different perspective that I need to explore.  As I do, I begin to learn and understand others better. I may not agree with them, but I’ve gained a sense of understanding where they are coming from and how I relate to them may change.  And, I begin to see me for who I am, one of many who need to be reminded what life is like above the clouds. 

I don’t have to wait until the next time I fly to get a different perspective.  I can do that by looking to the ONE who sees things from a higher elevation and understanding. He desires me to fly on wings like eagles in the process.  So, I’m going to grab some pretzels and keep looking for His perspective where the light is always shining!

No comments:

Post a Comment