Thursday, December 6, 2012

Just Wait!

This morning I was in a waiting room.  My car was getting serviced so I camped out at the dealer with a book, smart phone, and computer!  I was waiting but I was productive!!!  As I was pondering deep issues this morning it occurred to me I have never heard anyone say: I just love to wait. Or, I have the spiritual gift of waiting! But, there is so much of life that entails waiting: the wait to be born, the wait to go to school, the wait to get your drivers license, the wait to graduate, etc.  Each day there seems to be time consumed in waiting, even for the most trivial of things.

We are in the season that for some, waiting becomes hard: Christmas.  I can remember the agony of waiting until: the Christmas eve meal was eaten, the dishes were all done, and mom and dad got settled before presents were opened.  Those few hours seemed like days to a 9 year old!  One Christmas I caved into the temptation not to wait.  In our family, Sunday afternoons were times of rest and relaxation.  The routine was predictable: mom and dad would retreat to their bedroom for a couple of hours while my older brothers held up in their bedrooms.  I was left all alone in the living room with the TV usually on a basketball game and a Christmas tree loaded with gifts!  On one quiet Sunday afternoon as I lay on the floor near the tree I notice one of my gifts.  There was a flap of wrapping paper where the tape had given way, exposing the end of my gift.  I perfected on that wintery afternoon the fine art of peeling tape back without ripping the paper and meticulously re-applying the tape after I had discovered what treasure lay beneath the tree.  I couldn't wait!

 
Christmas is about waiting isn't it?  Think of the many years the faithful of Israel waited for the Messiah.  I'm sure there were times they wanted to peel back the future to just see what was coming!  I have come to realize over the last several years the hardest part about waiting.  Want to know what it is?  WAITING!!!  We have had a few times when waiting seemed to drag on: waiting for Natalie to be born and waiting to know where the next ministry takes us.  Yep, were on a journey of waiting and discovering where we will be next.  Our time in Australia will come to a close no later than the end of April 2013.  So now we wait.

Here are a few things I've come to realize about waiting: First, waiting doesn't mean inactivity, neutral, or doing nothing.  While I'm waiting I can use this time to be productive.  Three things I can do without knowing what's next are: Listen, Learn, and Love.  I can listen for God's voice as I wait.  The Psalmist says: Be still and know that I am God (Ps. 46:10).  Next I can learn.  When I'm waiting time seems to be a luxury that leaves when direction is clear.  I can use the time to read, review what I have learned or learn something new. In this case learn to play the didgeridoo...concert information will be available soon!  And last but not least, I can love.  The world is full of tons of opportunities to express the love of God.  While I wait, I need to get my eyes off myself and onto what God sees!  Serving, encouraging, helping never go out of style!

The last thought goes back to the waiting that happened over 2000 years ago.  Once Jesus entered this world the wait for the Savior was over and the reality of His Kingdom came to life.  Even in the midst of my waiting right now, I don't have to wait for a Savior, Redeemer, Friend, Lord, and King to arrive and bring hope to my wait.  He's already here.  Waiting with someone is so much better than waiting alone.  So, for now, I'll wait, how about you???

Have a great Christmas!

Marty 

No comments:

Post a Comment