Thursday, November 8, 2012

OK, NOW WHAT???


The election is over, here are a few things I’ve been thinking about:

1.    No matter who won, I’m responsible for my own words, attitudes, and actions.  As a Christ-follower, I can either choose to talk and walk in love, grace, and perspective of eternity or I can become consumed with putting my hope in people, governments, policy and the “now what will happen?” 

2.    One thing I’ve been convicted about has been my lack of prayer for those who are in government office.  Here’s a question:  Do I pray for those in government as much as I criticize?  Even if I don’t like who is in office is no excuse not to pray for them.  I think I can contribute more on my knees than posting on facebook or engaging in debate with people who are set in their ideology.

3.    Regardless of my political views I must be driven by a higher calling and mission.  With that said, I cannot wait for, depend on, or expect the government to do what I am called to do by God.  Compassion for those who are disenfranchised, broken, and the least of these must characterize my life.

4.    This is NOT my home or final destination.  My hope and future are in God’s Kingdom not anything manmade.  Because of this my time must be spent in pursuing His Kingdom through the ministry of His Bride, the Church.  Since I mentioned the church, now is an opportunity for the church to rise up like never before and bring “up there down here!”  What would happen in communities around the country if people truly became the hands, feet, and heart of Jesus? 

5.    I will continue to support those who have chosen to give their lives to serve our country through military service.  I will also chose to support those candidates who best reflect my principles of how a society should be governed.  As an American I have been given a great privilege and opportunity.  I will continue to stay informed but refuse to allow this to consume me at the expense of my mission as a Christ-follower.  With this, I will choose to respect others who hold differing and at times opposing views.  To do anything less would be to fall into the trap of alienation of those who like me are made in the image of God.

In 1972 there was a block-buster film, The Poseidon Adventure.  This film utilized at the time state of the art special effects, a cast of notable stars, an intriguing story line, and an Academy Award winning song: “There’s got to be a morning after.”  The story was about a cruise ship turned upside down during a brutal storm and the passengers attempt to survive.  The theme song spoke to the need for hope:

There's got to be a morning after
If we can hold on through the night
We have a chance to find the sunshine
Let's keep on looking for the light

Oh, can't you see the morning after?
It's waiting right outside the storm
Why don't we cross the bridge together
And find a place that's safe and warm?

It's not too late, we should be giving
Only with love can we climb
It's not too late, not while we're living
Let's put our hands out in time

You may feel as though things have been turned upside down with the election.   Take heart, there is a morning after that is sure, His name is Jesus and He is in the process of making all things new again.

And for those of you who are not disappointed, take heart when disappointment does come, there is a morning after.

Be Blessed,

Marty   

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, brother! Keeping you and your family close in prayer!

    Dan

    ReplyDelete