Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Back to the Future

Easter 2012 will be remembered as a great experience for both Ruthann and me.  I was invited to be the speaker for a youth event...Easter Camp 2012.  Over 200 High School and University students gathered for 4 days of fun, worship, and challenge and we were in the middle of it.  Having spent over 16 years in youth ministry I must say I was just a little apprehensive about this gig.  I know how tough this type of audience can be, but, I also knew how much potential and energy exists.  What transpired over the 4 days from Good Friday to Easter Monday was nothing short of miraculous.  I have never spoken to such attentive and responsive students.  It seemed as though they hung on every word.  In fact, I had one University student tell me toward the end of the camp he was disappointed the first night I spoke because I didn't speak longer!  Now that's a first for any audience!!!  
One of the things that kept coming back to me was the power of God through prayer.  This camp had many people from the church and at the camp praying for God to work...and He did.  On Saturday morning I shared the simple concept that we are all broken by sin and Jesus came to make everything new again.  At the end I invited students to respond and accept Jesus as their Savior.  To my shock 30-40 students rose to their feet.  On Sunday (Easter) morning I spoke on the importance of the resurrection and challenged students to allow Jesus to break the strongholds that  hold them back in their life (habits, attitudes, behavior, etc).  Over 75 students immediately made their way to the stage for prayer.  To say this camp was fulfilling would be a gross understatement.  God seemed to be breaking through barrier after barrier in the students.  It was great to be a part of this camp and it will go down in the books as one of the best Easters ever.  Go God!

When we returned home Ruthann asked if I had any desire to get back into youth ministry?  My first response was NO, I don't have the energy...but now that I've had 48 hours to sleep, I'd have to say, it's tempting.  Maybe not full blown youth ministry but definitely something to do with University students.  One thing is certain, there is a generation rising up to bring "up there, down here!"

I've attached a couple of video clips for you to see the enthusiasm for worship and zaniness that went on during the camp.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcuwJPsopI&feature=youtu.be

Be blessed,

Marty

1 comment: