Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Running with the Wind

I'm attempting something this May that has been on my list for over 5 years: A Marathon.  Last Sunday according to my training schedule I was to run 9.7 K (6 miles).  The weather conditions were not real favorable, the wind was gusting from the south up to 72 kph (45 mph).  I came up with the brilliant idea: run with the wind!  So, I headed to the beach and marked out my route north.  The only problem was my route was short by 3.2 K (2 miles) so I decided I would just run back (south) for the remaining part of the run.  Bad idea!  The first 6.5 K was awesome, I was fast, my time was incredible and I felt like I could go forever.  The last 3.2 K was unbelievably hard.  My pace went from light speed to slow mo in just one simple turn.  I could hardly breath, my legs felt like rubber, and I began to wonder if I had lost all my marbles!  Another thought was: don't spit Marty!  I really wanted to quit. As I began to ponder the reality of finishing the route one thought kept coming to mind: just keep going.  I can't tell you the exhilaration I felt when I reached the end of the route. 

I don't know about you, but for me there are times I have felt like I am running with the wind in life.  Things are going great, accomplishments seem to be a breeze, and the "run" is just plain ole fun.  It's in those days I feel like I can do anything, life is good.  However, there are those simple turns in life that take my breath away, makes my legs go wobbly, and the thoughts swirl through my cranial lobes: what is going on, will I make it?  It's in those times I have to remember to just keep going.  The prophet Isaiah penned these words in chapter 43:18,19: Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.  In other words, just keep going, God is making a way!

It's been a few days since Sunday and I am so glad I didn't quit when the run got tough.  I'm also glad I didn't spit!  I'm hoping to remember this day for a while...especially when I'm "running against the winds of life."  God is making a way.

Be Blessed and just keep going!

Marty

2 comments:

  1. Thanks MARTY for faithfully sharing this insight! You bless my soul! I am so running against the wind! I'm frustrated and hurting, yet I am TRYING to keep my eye on the prize = the LORD JESUS and not the blessings and the job and the income I think I desperately need! I NEED JESUS MORE! Appreciate and love you much, my friend! Praying you find lots of successes and blessings and victories and joys and peace-moments and connecting moments and...

    ReplyDelete