Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I think I'll take a Mulligan!

Golf, for some it brings thoughts and feelings of relaxation, anticipation, and excitement.  For me, not so much!  I have dabbled in the sport, but find it too slow and very agonizing.  I've never gotten the hang of it, never really understood the technique of it, and really haven't had the time or willing "coach" to lead me from "the rough" to the green of the game!  By description I'm a hacker.  I have on occasion shown greatness on the green for one hole out of eighteen but overall, I choose not to frustrate myself with slices, hooks, dribbles, and going through packets of balls.

One aspect of the game I find intriguing: the Mulligan.  I tried to find the origin of this term and there are many legends surrounding how this term became a standard for "do over!"  Where ever it came from doesn't matter to me, I like it!  Wouldn't it be great if life came with mulligans?  Give the wrong answer on a test...mulligan!  Rear end the guy in front of you...mulligan!  Say too much in a conversation...mulligan!  Retaliate after a deep hurt...mulligan!  A mulligan is in a sense the ability to wipe the slate clean and start over.  However, it's more like a second chance.  With a second chance I can take the experience of what I've just done, hopefully learn from it, make corrections, and take another swing at it.  I find that new years are somewhat like a mulligan...a fresh start, a second chance!  I have the opportunity to take the experiences of the past year, learn from them, make corrections, and take another swing at it!  This is not a new thought, God has pretty much designed life this way and even provided a way for new things to emerge out of past hooks of pain and slices of disappointment.  Jesus declares that he is making all things new again...!  He provides me with the opportunity to take a mulligan and take a second chance (although with me, I think I'm on my 14th or 15th chance in some areas)!

This new year, I'm grateful that God is a God who allows for mulligans.  I look forward to this year and the opportunity I'll have to go for the green.  I do know there will be times I'll swing and land in the rough but when I can, I'll remember the option to use the mulligan to get back on track!

Happy New Year...and to you golfers out there, keep your eye on the ball and take a mulligan for me!

Marty

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful for mulligans - and for a coach who helps us do better next time as well

    ReplyDelete