Monday, April 18, 2011

We're NOT in Kansas anymore Toto!

Ok, where to begin.  The last week has been a blur.  I didn't realize that when we came to OZ it would be easier to get an Auzzy driver's license than a mobile phone!  On Monday of last week Adam and I went to the mobile phone store for what we thought would result in me walking away with 2 mobile phones.  What we discovered was this was going to take a while...5 DAYS!

First, I needed 100 points to apply for a phone...no worries, I have a passport, visa, US credit card, US drivers license, good looks, and a winsome personality.  Wrong.  We didn't have anything that stated we lived in South Australia.  So, to the bank.  We opened bank accounts and discovered we couldn't get a bank statement from the bank...it would come in the letter box (mail box) in a few days.  Thursday:  the bank statement arrived, off to Victor Harbor...to the phone store.  Upon entering with heaps of confidence that today would be a banner day, I was greeted not by the manager who waited on me Monday but by 2 clerks who's combined age probably didn't exceed 40.  No worries, the manager left extensive notes on me. (Is that good?)  We proceeded into the point tally to which I proudly displayed my bank statement, passport, and visa letter, to which that was met with: "that's only 70 points!"  What?  the manager was clear that was all I needed.  However, I had an ace in my pocket...the day before we had received our Auzzy driver's licenses.  Ha!  To which the reply was: I can't accept that!  It's paper!  They were temporary DL.  "Do you have a bank card?" (aka, credit card)  YES...Visa!  "Great, wait, I cannot accept this!"  WHY?  "It's not an Auzzy bank card, you cannot use it here!"  At this point my friend who had come with me to translate stepped into the fray and begin explaining how I could and have used my VISA card in OZ.  "NOPE, cannot accept it."    At this point my rational reasoning skills kicked in.  "I need 100 points right?"  Yes.  "How much is my passport worth?"  70 points, but you need a visa letter and bank statement with it.   "How much is my bank statement worth alone?  40 points.  "So, I have 110 points!"  After a couple of phone calls to the manager it was decided to try to send the application to corporate for approval.

The Application:  Normal questions began the process, then came THE QUESTION: Previous residence for the last two years:  "No Problem...here is my US driver's license with that address."  I'm sorry, I cannot accept this...it must be an Auzzy address!  No words could explain my reaction at this point!  I've only been here 1 week.  "No Worries, I'll call the manager."  The instructions were to call corporate and ask what address we were supposed to use...I didn't realize we lived in Canberra the last 2 years but our address was: 9999 International Dr. Canberra, AU.  The next step was a credit check.  Everything was put through and we were waiting.  Finally, after what seemed like a long time we got our answer: PENDING~  Which means...there's more red tape!  An email needed to be sent to the regional representative of the company explaining our situation to which she then would decide if we were worthy to have mobile phones.  "How long will this take?"  No worries...straight away!  "Great"  After another phone call to the manager it was discovered that straight away meant within 24 hours.  No worries, we will ring you when we hear...and it could be any moment.  The rest of Thursday...no call, Friday morning...no call.  We had an appointment in Victor Harbor on Friday at 11:30, so we decided to drive the 30 minute drive and after our appointment check into the phone store.  We arrived and were greeted with a smile...the approval just came in!  After 30 minutes of signing documents and hearing all the terms we walked out of the phone store with 2 brand new IPhone 4's.  Now, we just need someone to help us figure out how to make a call!!!

Seriously, we are amazed at how God is going before us and as some things take longer to do because we are not familiar with how things are done, we are so grateful to be right where God wants us...dependent on Him!  More on the adventure later...See Ya,  Mawty

3 comments:

  1. Mawty,
    Glad to hear things are going "well" in AU! Especially that you are dependent on God!

    Praying for you!

    Walt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Walt, it's been awesome, keep praying!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So close, yet so far away! Glad you "got 'er done." Let's try Skype again. We can meet for dinner and mess with it...oh, guess not.

    ReplyDelete